“And He bearing His cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha: where they crucified Him, and two other with Him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst.” John 19:17
Today we’ll trace Jesus’ steps on this Good Friday, the most difficult day of Passion Week for me personally. The earthly journey of Jesus turns treacherous and acutely painful in these final hours leading to His death
- According to Scripture, Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus and led the soldiers to Him, who identified Jesus by the kiss was so overwhelmed with remorse that he made a vain attempt to give the 30 pieces of silver coins back, and eventually took his own life on a tree., hanging himself that early Friday morning.
- Meanwhile, before the third hour (9 a.m.), Jesus endured the shame of false accusations, condemnation, mockery, beatings, and abandonment.
- After multiple unlawful trials, Jesus was sentenced to death by crucifixion, one of the most horrible and disgraceful methods of capitol punishment.
- Before Jesus was led away, soldiers spit on Him, tormented and mocked Him, and pierced Him with a crown of thorns.
- Then Jesus carried His own cross to Calvary where, again, he was mocked and insulted as Roman soldiers nailed him to the wooden cross.
- Then, about the ninth hour (3 p.m.), Jesus breathed His last and died.
- By 6 p.m. Friday evening,Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea took Jesus’ body down from the cross and lay it in a tomb.
“When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, He said, “It is finished”: and He bowed His head, and gave up the ghost.” John 19:30
As I ponder on the events of the day, I have one thought specifically going through my mind, and that is; that Jesus went the distance for me.
He covered every inch of the road that should have been mine to walk. He walked it for me, He carried my burdens, He suffered for my sins that I might be free. He saw what it all meant, and paid the price for my salvation, in full; by Himself.
And ultimately, He has given me the reason why I walk on in my battle with this cancer, knowing, believing that He has paid the debt in full. He has promised me that “this sickness is not unto death” because He has defeated death on the cross at Calvary. I have His instruction, that “the God be glorified, and that the Son of God might be glorified thereby”. This Easter for me is very personal, very special; because Jesus Christ Himself, has asked me to walk this road, but I am not alone; He has walked this way before, He goes with me. Just like the resurrection, into a new life, so has He promised me at the end of this season. For now, I walk with Him, taking Him at His Word that truly, “it is finished!”
And so this Easter, 2013 I thank God for sending Jesus, and I thank Jesus for coming for me, I shall not be moved, for He is my salvation.
Here’s today’s video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOY0mjjmx8Y